Open consultation meetings
- Want to play your part in helping discern who our next Bishop will be?
- Come to an open meeting to learn about the role and process.
- Share your views as part of the consultation.
Meetings at this end of the diocese will be held at:
- St Giles, Lea, North Wiltshire – Wednesday, 27th September – 7:30pm
- Toothill Church, West Swindon – Thursday, 5th October – 7:00pm for 7:30pm
What happens next?
The responsibility for choosing the next Bishop of Bristol rests with the Crown Nomina tions Commission (CNC) which submits the name of a preferred candidate to the Crown.
Before the CNC meets, there is an extensive consultation process to inform the decision making. The diocesan Vacancy in See Committee puts together a description of the diocese and a statement setting out the desired profile of the new bishop, based on its own consultation; this comes alongside a wider consultation exercise carried out by the Prime Minister’s and Archbishops’ Secretaries for Appointments.
The CNC will meet to discuss the appointment and shortlist on 1st February 2018, and meet with candidates on 12th and 13th March 2018.
Assuming an appointment is made, we expect an announcement in May 2018, and an inauguration in the autumn.